This traditional vanilla sponge cake recipe is perfect for a birthday cake, Mother’s Day, or afternoon tea. This is a must-have in any home baker’s repertoire.
- Pre-heat oven to 160degC/180degC. Grease two round 20cm cake pans. Line the sides and base of two 20cm diameter round cake pans with baking paper.
- Put the eggs into a large mixing bowl. Beat the eggs on high speed for 5-6 mins or until thick and pale. Add sugar 1 tbsp. At a time and beat between additions. Beat in Vanilla
- Add 1 tbsp boiling water. Sift twice on a baking sheet. Then, sift it again over the egg mixture. Add one tablespoon of boiling water. Fold gently to combine. Stirring is not necessary. Divide evenly between prepared pans.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown. The sponge should be slightly shrinking away from the pan. Turn out immediately onto a wire grate lined with baking paper. Let cool
- In a large bowl, beat cream, sugar, and Vanilla with an electric mixer until soft peaks are formed.
- Spread jam on the sponge, leaving a 1cm edge around the sides. Spread the hole around the edges, leaving 1cm. Add three-quarters of the cream whipped. Sandwich the remaining sponge with the remaining cream and dollop it into the center. Decorate with strawberries and icing sugar.