Pancake Underground Recipe This recipe we’re sharing is our grilled sausage waffle. Waffle sandwiches are a thing we frequently serve in The Pancake Underground, since waffles are wholesome enough to withstand many different sandwich fillings. They are also great for trapping juices and sauces and can be enjoyed with sweet or savory options! This sandwich pairs the fatty pork belly with the salty acidity, sweetness, and spice from the coleslaw made of apple, jalapeno, and maple syrup.
- Cook Time Total Cook Time40 mins
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Recipe Servings2
Components in the Underground Pancake
- Buttermilk Waffles:
- Four eggs
- 3 cups buttermilk
- Three tablespoons of oil or butter that has been melted
- 3 cups of flour
- 1/3 cups sugar
- 4 tbsp baking soda
- Salt and a pinch
- For the apple-jalapeno coleslaw:
- One head of cabbage, sliced into strips
- Two granny Smith or any other tart apple that is julienned
- Two jalapenos Seeded and diced
How do you make the Pancake Underground
1. Mix wet ingredients (eggs buttermilk, eggs, and butter or oil) in a colossal mixing bowl.
2. Add dry ingredients, and mix until it’s just incorporated (small lumps are okay, but don’t overmix).
3. Pour batter into a waffle maker and cook according to the directions.
To cook the pork belly
1. We suggest cutting the meat into bite-sized pieces, sprinkling with salt and black pepper, then grilling or sauteing until cooked.