You may have noticed on my Instagram account that I’ve been a bit obsessed with the Tres Leches cake, also known as milk cake! I decided to create my version and am extremely pleased with the way it came out.
This cake is light and airy and is bathed in a sweet milk mix consisting of condensed milk, evaporated milk, condensed milk, and full-fat milk! I’ve also added Anchor butter to add some buttery goodness! This dessert is designed for indulgence and could be a perfect dessert to serve during Iftar or Eid! Check it out…
I decorated the cake with crushed pistachios and rose petals. The aroma and flavors of the roses infuse into the milk, adding a subtle scent note.
To make the cake
100g (1/2 cup) Anchor butter that has been softened and unsalted.
200g (1 cup) Sugar granulated
1 tbsp vanilla extract
250g (1 3/4) cups plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
One teaspoon salt
To make milk
300 ml condensed Milk
300ml evaporated milk
250 ml full-fat milk
To make the topping
284ml double cream whipped
1 cup of powdered sugar
Rose petals that have been crushed and pistachios to add garnish (optional)
- Start by heating the oven to 180 ° C.
- Mix the sugar and butter until they are light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla extract and eggs to the sugar and butter mix and beat until it is well incorporated. Be careful not to overbeat the eggs.
- Mix all the dry ingredients (flour baking powder, flour, along with salt) in separate bowls. Add a portion of this mix into the wet ingredients till it is incorporated. Repeat the process with the remaining half.
- Place the cake batter in a baking dish that has been greased and spread it equally.
- Bake in the oven and cook for about 30 minutes. Please make a small prick on the cake using a toothpick or skewer to ensure that it is cooked to perfection.
- Use a fork to poke the cake on all sides and then allow it to cool down to the temperature of the room. The piercings assist the cake in absorbing all the liquid.
- In a bowl or jug, pour in the three kinds of milk. Stir well.
- After the cake has been cooled after cooling, pour 550ml milk mixture on top of the cake. (It may appear like you’re drowning your cake, but it’s all absorbed, so don’t be concerned!)
- Cover the cake in cling film and then place it in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour (overnight is the best).
- Mix the double cream while slowly adding powdered sugar to sweeten it.
- Take the cake out of the fridge, and pipe or spread the whipped cream over. Decorate the cake with crushed pistachios or dry rose petals.
- Serve and cut! I prefer to pour an additional 300ml milk mix along with a scattering of crushed rose petals on each serving dish. The roses infuse into the milk and taste great! Making each serving with milk is not required, and you can add the entire 850ml of the milk mixture into the cake at the first step prior to when it is stored in the fridge.