Corey Costelloe’s recipe. This recipe was made using the Searing Slow Cooker ™. For optimum taste and convenience, sear first and then slow cook.
- Use the Breville Searing slow cooker(tm).
- Select LOW HEAT using the MENU button. To pre-heat the slow cooker, select POWER/START. Add the sugar, and cook until it turns caramel for 15 minutes. Stir gently several times so that the sugar melts evenly.
- Cream in a pan over medium heat until it is just below boiling. Pour the heated cream slowly into the pot of caramel sugar. Add the walnuts, salt, and chopped walnuts to the caramel mixture after it has been heated up just below boiling.
- Mix the banana puree and sugar with the oil, eggs, and sugar to make the cake.
- Add the baking powder, flour, and salt. Fold the banana mixture through gently. Add the lemon and gently mix.
- Pour the cake mix on top of the caramel walnut mixture.
- Click the CANCEL icon. Select HIGH SLOW COOK using the MENU button. Set the timer for 45 minutes, then press POWER/START. When a skewer is inserted in the center of the cake, it comes out clean.
- Take care to remove the cake after 10 minutes from the slow cooker bowl. The caramel on the bottom will be hot. Warm or cold.